Fire Damage Restoration in Austin
Safety & Holiday Best Practices
According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), three of every five home fire deaths results from fires in homes with no smoke alarms (38%) or no working smoke alarms (21%).
Most fatal fires happen when families are asleep because occupants are unaware of the fire until there is not adequate time to escape. A smoke alarm stands guard around the clock, and when it first senses smoke, it sounds a shrill alarm.
All in all, smoke alarms are crucial elements in the early detection of fires. If you have not checked your smoke alarm in years or several months check out these statistics from the NFPA. (The Smoke Alarm Effect)
Having properly functioning smoke alarms in your Austin, TX home is an essential aspect of basic fire safety. These devices give you the first warning that your home is in danger in the event of a real fire.
After you’ve had your fire alarm system for a while, though, it may stop working as effectively as it once did. If you notice any of the following signs, it may be time to replace the smoke alarms in your home.
- The Alarms Are Over 10 Years Old
Like all other devices, your smoke detectors will eventually reach the point where they’re too old to work properly. To see if this is the case, simply check the date of manufacture on the back of the alarm. If at least 10 years have passed since the printed date, you’re due for a new alarm system.
- The Alarms Fail the Monthly Test
To ensure that your fire alarm system is in top condition, you should test it at least once a month. Find the test button on the front or side of each device and hold it down for a few seconds. If the alarm doesn’t emit any sound, this is a likely indicator that the system needs to be replaced.
- The Alarms Go Off Randomly
Your smoke detectors must do their job of alerting you of a real fire emergency before any fire or smoke damage from fire ensues. However, if your alarms frequently go off for no apparent reason, they could be defective.
To save yourself the constant noise and properly safeguard your home from danger, be sure to have new detectors installed as soon as possible.
Home Fire Accidents
When faced with home fire casualties, heating equipment is the leading cause. Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February around the holidays.
Sometimes it’s hard discussing potential accidents or things that can go wrong in your home, but it’s important to be aware. Unfortunately, these accidents tend to happen around the holidays when we're with our friends and family.
Here are some simple steps that can help prevent most heating-related fires and kitchen accidents from happening:
· Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
· Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
· Never use your oven to heat your home.
· Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
· Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
· Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
· Keep spills cleaned up on and around your stove top.
· Keep and eye on your pans in the oven. Always set a timer.
· Keep a fire extinguisher close by.
· Be sure your smoke detector has good batteries in place.
· DO NOT throw water on a grease fire.
· Always keep your body safe guarded by wearing proper safety gloves or mitts.
· Keep children and pets away from ovens and stove-tops in use.
Stay safe over the holidays as you keep these tips in mind! Cleaning after fire smoke damage is a serious task and you can cause further damage without professional help. Having us help with your fire damage restoration services will ensure full fire and smoke damage restoration.
SERVPRO of East Central Austin is here to help for fire restoration, biohazard cleanup, water damage, and mold inspection with 24/7 emergency services. We will work diligently as your fire damage restoration company for Austin, TX to restore your home and memories back to their original condition.