Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
The aftermath of a fire can leave your Austin home or business in complete disrepair. Safety is the primary focus you should have after any type of fire damage situation. And that means assessing whether it's even safe for you to be in the house.
Following a fire, it's likely you'll be very stressed. Not only will you be dealing with fire damage and fire damage repairs, but you'll also have smoke damage and possibly water damage cleanup and water removal to attend to as well. Our SERVPRO team can help guide you through all of this. Our mission at SERVPRO is to restore your Austin TX home or business to the state it was in prior to the fire occurring. We have a great reputation among Austin TX SERVPRO companies, and you can trust that our highly trained and certified fire damage professionals will work hard to completely restore your Austin property.
Remember your family and pets are your priority after a fire, so please take every precaution to ensure that everyone is safe. This list of fire damage tips can help provide you with a guide after a fire in your Austin home or business. Here are some tips to consider and keep in mind.
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (512) 420-9886
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.