How Cleaning Your Gutters Can Help Prevent Water Damage to Your Austin Home
As fall passes through and eventually leads into winter, it’s time for leaves to start falling off of the trees. Many of these leaves will land on the ground, while others will wind up in the gutters of your home, which, over time can cause problems such as clogging and water damage if they’re not removed.
Sometimes we forget about our gutters, but once the water from a rainstorm starts to fall onto the side of your house rather than passing through the gutters, then there is obviously an issue that needs to be addressed.
Gutters keep a steady flow of water away from your home in order to help prevent water damage. If you ignore and don’t properly maintain your gutters on a regular basis, there can be disastrous consequences for the outside and inside of your home, which may require the attention of water damage specialists Austin.
Gutters, Flooding and Freezing
Gutters are designed to move water away from the roof of your house and your foundation. If your gutters are blocked, water will not flow properly, instead pouring over the sides and onto your walls and down into your foundation. As the water runs down the side of your house, it can greatly affect any wood siding you might have, which, if neglected, can eventually lead to mold, and eventually wood rot. The foundation, which is usually made of concrete, can slowly crumble over time from the excessive moisture.
Excessive water can also spill over into your yard, causing flooding. This can affect any nearby landscaping, such as trees and plants positioned near your house. While there’s rarely a deep freeze in Austin, you should keep your gutters clean in the event that ice does form. If your gutters are clean, they may still be clogged, which can allow excess water to freeze and create ice dams. Leaking for ice dams can seep in through your roof and create water damage, as the water has no place to go.
How to Clean Your Gutters
While the idea of cleaning your gutters may at first appear a daunting challenge, it’s actually not all that complicated. However, there are a few precautions you should take if you plan on doing this yourself:
- Get Yourself a Safe Ladder. If you have an old, rickety wooden ladder, get rid of it and get yourself a sturdy new one, if possible. You’d be amazed at how many people fall while using old ladders to clean their gutters. Never lean your ladder against the gutters as they can be bent or broken. Always have someone spot you while holding the ladder while you’re cleaning the gutters. This helps stabilize the ladder and allows for an extra set of hands to pass you tools you may need for cleaning.
- Wear Protective Clothing. While you may think that your gutters are full of leaves, keep in mind that there may also be twigs, dirt and a variety of bugs up there. Always wear long sleeves and thick rubber gloves as a protective measure. It’s a very messy job, so protect yourself.
- Use tools. While you may feel like using your hands, based on how messy this can get, you may want to use tools, such as a small garden trowel to scoop out the mess.
- How to collect the leaves and dirt. Before you even begin, get yourself a plastic drop cloth or a tarp and lay it down to collect the leaves and other debris. This is a better option instead of just dumping them in your yard.
- Easy Clean Up. Once you’ve cleaned out the gutters, you should also check the drain for any foreign objects. Leaves and twigs can easily get stuck in here, so make sure that you get everything. Once you cleaned out the whole gutter, rinse the out with a hose to make sure that they’re clean and that the water flows properly.
How SERVPRO of East Central Austin Can Help if You Experience Water Damage
If your Austin home has experienced water damage and flooding from clogged gutters, SERVPRO of East Central Austin can help
We’re a locally owned Austin company, and we understand how overwhelming it can be if your property has experienced water damage. We can help with all aspects of water damage Austin, including water extraction Austin, water damage cleanup and water damage restoration. We’re water restoration experts, and our highly trained and certified professionals can help 24/7 with your water restoration and repairs to make it "Like it never even happened."
Need help with your water damage issues? Call our local SERVPRO Company today at (512) 420- 9886.